Tuesday, October 9, 2012

New Job Ramblings

I have been working as a paraprofessional- direct services aide in the local middle school for almost 4 weeks now. On my current schedule (I am crossing my fingers that it does not change) I work with an eleven year old autistic boy. In the afternoon I work with a 13 year old boy that has a number of difficulties to overcome but is capable and just working at a level that is slightly lower than his actual grade level. In comparison to my old job this one is a breeze. I am far less exhausted when I get home and I can finally leave work at work. It is so nice! My first couple of weeks I had a difficult time adjusting to a less energy demanding job, the day just seemed to move so, so, so, so, so slow but I am definitely getting used to it. Obviously, at the daycare every second of my time was devoted to either one child, multiple children, paper work, lesson plans, cleaning, etc. with all those demands and often having to juggle most of them at once I never had time to accomplish all that I needed to do during my shift.
 Of course it’s not always sunshine and daisies, those good ole’ work politics always find a way of sneaking in and spoiling things. Thankfully I am so dang shy around my co-workers that it pretty much by passes me.
On a completely different note, being in middle school again is so WEIRD! The boys are so full of themselves they show off to one another every chance they get. Girls are so catty already it just breaks my heart for the girls that are on the receiving end of the cattiness. And man the ridiculous amounts of flirting between the students that I have to endure can drive a person crazy. But all in all those things really just give me entertainment during any lulls at work.
Just for my own memories sake I typed up my reflections of my first day of work and I wanted to keep it documented so that I can remember it the next time I start a new job. It's crazy how different my feelings are from my first day.
9/13/2012- “What did I do??? I left a job that I was comfortable at. The parents loved me and so did the kids. I felt welcomed and like I knew what I was doing. And I knew people’s names! Today I arrived and met the person I was to be supervised by and he did not welcome me. He basically told me that I had no purpose there today and made me feel as if I was a burden while I sat at the back of his room for almost two hours. Finally another aide came in and decided to give me a tour and introduced me to people that seemed to be excited to have me join the school. However, I am still not sure of my purpose and what I am supposed to do. I feel like I have made the wrong decision but I guess only time will tell because what's done is done and I can't take back my Dinos.”

No comments: